Despite the Encore Boston Casino almost falling into the hands of MGM Resorts last month, a spokesperson for Wynn Resorts confirmed this week that CEO Matthew Maddox said the facility won’t be for sale going forward.
Everett city councilors and political officials were said to be anxious when Wynn originally proposed the sale of the casino to global adversaries MGM Resorts International. However, due to the state’s gambling laws, MGM would have had to surrender the gaming license for their thriving casino business in Springfield if such deals were made.
State officials and MGM shareholders were said to be relieved when news came in that the sale had been “called off”. Everett’s mayor, Mike McLaughlin was particularly pleased to hear that Wynn Resorts decided to stay put, after local residents specifically elected them to be the sole operators of the casino.
“I’m very happy to hear that Encore is not looking to sell the development because the people of Everett, as I have said numerous times, want Wynn to develop the casino they supported in 2013,” said McLaughlin.
“That’s what we voted for, that’s who we accepted. Our partnership has grown into a strong relationship and they feel confident to stay here in Massachusetts. In less than three weeks from now, they will open up the greatest single-phase development in the state of Massachusetts.”
The newly constructed $2.6 billion casino is due to open its doors to the public on June 23, and has already hosted 1 of 3 orientation events in preparation for the 4,800 employees due to start their first working day. Restaurants inside the complex have also begun taking reservations from visitors and guests; indicating that operations are almost in full swing.
Parking for Workers Causing Controversy
The Encore Boston Harbor has caused added controversy in other cities too since building works completed. The venue leased a total of 700 parking spaces for its employees at the Station Landing garage; situated right next to Medford’s Wellington MBTA station. This means that the company have had to make room by forcing out commuters.
Pilgrim Parking have already announced that monthly permits will be cancelled from June 3, with day rates remaining in place. People are worried that the garage will become too busy and they will struggle to find a space as a result though.
“I just found out 15 minutes ago, thanks to an email from my office,” said local resident and employee Michelle Pateras. “We can’t find spots now. If there’s an influx of 700, where are we going to park?”
Wynn Resorts announced that while parking is a requirement for the casino, they are looking at leasing other garages to host more spaces. The garage in Medford will hold a capacity of 400, and another nearby location they are looking at will hold another 100.
“That will bring us to the 800 total offsite employee parking spaces we are required to have,” wrote Weaver in an email.
Both state representative Paul Donato and mayor of Medford Stephanie Burke, released a joint statement in light of the parking situation.
“We are very disheartened that Pilgrim, a private entity, decided to inform their monthly parking pass holders less than 30 days in advance that they will no longer offer monthly passes,” the statement detailed.
Officials announced how they didn’t want the public to be alarmed until the data has been retrieved from the owner of the garage on how likely it will be used, but they are continuing to press them for more information.
Commuters said how they are fully aware that workers of the casino will need somewhere to park, they just hope it will be somewhere other this one.
Disclaimer: All images are copyright to their respective owners and are used by USA Online Casino for informational purposes only.